From Writings: Poems of Volume 4 of Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda
TO THE AWAKENED INDIA
Once more awake!
- For sleep it was, not death, to bring thee life
- Anew, and rest to lotus-eyes for visions
- Daring yet. The world in need awaits, O Truth!
- No death for thee!
Resume thy march,
- With gentle feet that would not break the
- Peaceful rest even of the roadside dust
- That lies so low. Yet strong and steady,
- Blissful, bold, and free. Awakener, ever
- Forward! Speak thy stirring words.
Thy home is gone,
- Where loving hearts had brought thee up and
- Watched with joy thy growth. But Fate is strong—
- This is the law—all things come back to the source
- They sprung, their strength to renew.
Then start afresh
- From the land of thy birth, where vast cloud-belted
- Snows do bless and put their strength in thee,
- For working wonders new. The heavenly
- River tune thy voice to her own immortal song ;
- Deodar shades give thee eternal peace.
And all above,
- Himala’s daughter Umâ, gentle, pure,
- The Mother that resides in all as Power
- And Life, who works all works and
- Makes of One the world, whose mercy
- Opens the gate to Truth and shows
- The One in All, give thee untiring
- Strength, which is Infinite Love.
They bless thee all,
- The seers great, whom age nor clime
- Can claim their own, the fathers of the
- Race, who felt the heart of Truth the same,
- And bravely taught to man ill-voiced or
- Well. Their servant, thou hast got
- The secret—’tis but One.
Then speak, O Love!
- Before thy gentle voice serene, behold how
- Visions melt and fold on fold of dreams
- Departs to void, till Truth and Truth alone
- In all its glory shines—
And tell the world—
- Awake, arise, and dream no more!
- This is the land of dreams, where Karma
- Weaves unthreaded garlands with our thoughts
- Of flowers sweet or noxious, and none
- Has root or stem, being born in naught, which
- The softest breath of Truth drives back to
- Primal nothingness. Be bold, and face
- The Truth! Be one with it! Let visions cease,
- Or, if you cannot, dream but truer dreams,
- Which are Eternal Love and Service Free.